VBT# Flirting with Magick - Leigh Bennett


 
With a new baby in the house , things have been a bit lacking lately like the time I have to read books LOL. So readers, you will recieve a review of Flirting with Magick at a later date but for now we have the awesome authoress Leigh Bennett to also help kick off International Chick Lit Month , a guest post for The Phantom Paragrapher.
 
 
Guest Post:  Life Inspiring Art aka Living in a Chick Lit Novel :
 
You might be surprised how much life can inspire art. It wasn’t until a few years ago that I realised that many have been living, myself included, straight out of a chick lit novel . Right now, while even writing this I have a Carrie Bradshaw monologue straight out of Sex and The City going through my head (cue music).
Of course Flirting with Magick is a complete work of fiction but admittedly, there are definitely some things inspired by real life, even to the point that my own mother first thought the story was an autobiography and this was after she had read the first sex scene. “That first sex scene was a little full on. Why would you even put that in an autobiography?” What? Did someone say ‘mortified’? It turned out she had taken the cue from my main character’s choice of home (one- bedroom flat in inner city Melbourne – yes, I had one of those once) and the agency my character had worked at sounded a little similar to a place I had once worked. But again, it is all fiction.
One of the main characters is a musician in a pub playing band, not yet famous but getting there. For the record, I have never dated a musician but having spent three years studying music business management and another eighteen months working in the industry, as well as managing a friend’s band for a little while, you could say I have an idea of what dating a musician could be like, sort of, in a fictional way. Let’s just say I may or may not have had a crush on one or two and wanted to write what it would be like.
Admittedly there are a couple of places where the book reflects real life. There is one particularly humiliating scene which really did happen to me. But unlike our protagonist, I was not rescued and had to cope on my own, my dignity abandoning me as well. There is also another rather ‘creative’ scene which had the same result although the artists were completely different. There is probably photographic proof out there somewhere but I would have to ask around.
Maybe in a future story some other real life experiences will become fictionalised for entertainment purposes as there are a few incidents I’ve kept up my sleeve, such as the summer fling I had with the tourist who lived in my block of flats, or meeting my husband on a trip away with friends. But look around and think about things that have happened to you. Your own life might be more interesting than you think.
 
Blurb of Flirting with Magick and Purchase Links :
 
When a new-age remedy fixes Abby Williams' career rut, the twenty-five year old figures a spell could heal her broken heart too...

Suddenly, she’s having hot sex with an even hotter musician, which might work as long as she doesn’t get in the way of his rock stardom. Her work colleague is flirty and fun, but could he be keeping something from her? And now, the guy who broke her heart wants to rekindle their relationship. Can she trust him enough to give it another shot?

So far, it seems Abby’s spell hasn’t worked. Or then again, perhaps it has?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Thank you for having me and for being a part of my tour. It was a fun post to do :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid