Review: Heart Shaped Bruise - Tanya Byrne


 
 
Have you ever picked up a book , not knowing what it's about but since they said it was like an author you have read and enjoyed, thought to yourself... hmmmmmmmmmm, I'll pick it up and give it a go.
Guess what guys and gals, that's exactly what I did with this book and for me this review comes with mixed emotions.
Review: Heart Shaped Bruise - Tanya Byrne - May 10th 2012
This book had a write-up from Sophie Hannah, boasting that it was wonderful and that fans of Sophie Hannah's books would enjoy Tanya Byrne's debut novel "Heart Shaped Bruise". When I opened the book I wasn't sure what to expect but I was soon thrown headfirst into the life of Emily Koll - one of London's most notorious gangsters daughter and learnt that she was in a Juvi Youth Home awaiting her prison trial for something that happened with a girl named Juliet.  The story is written in diary entries when Emily is given a notebook from her Doctor. In this we learn what happened and why Emily is where she is. This is a hard review to write as I don't want to give the storyline away. I will say readers, at first you will be confused at why exactly she was sent to the Juvie and what she did which was so terrible. In a way though, this book really reminded me of the book by Dorothy Koomson of The Ice-Cream girls mixed with the true murder tale that happened in New Zealand in which the movie by Peter Jackson "Heavenly Creatures" was based on. The other thing that this book does which is nice to see is it holds an authentic Britishness to it with the language e.g Bollocks.  The other amazing thing is that as I am a cover crusher, this cover is TDF.
I look forward to reading more of Tanya's books as if she keeps in the same tradition of this novel , she will discover a new following .
However, the reason I am giving this book 4P's and not 5P's is because for me, it took ages to get to the reason why she is in the hospital as it seemed to be darting around the incident.
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid