Sweetie - Kathryn Magendie


This novel though not nessecarily classed as a Christian Fiction, it talks about Sacrifices so I thought in more ways than one it should fall under this symbol.



Review : Sweetie - Kathryn Magendie- November 2010

One lucky thing with being a member of Netgalley is that as long as you play your part and agree to write reviews for the books that you have read , you get the occasional galley that of a book that is yet to be available to the mighty hordes of public.
Sweetie by Kathryn Magendie is a book that though it took me a little while to get into and understand where the story was taking me , it was a book that I was able to persevere with as normally I am one of those people who If I can't get into a book after the first couple of chapters I normally give up. I am glad I continued with this book as what I saw unfold from the odd prologue was an amazing and touching novel of two girls who became the best of friends , Melissa who was slightly on the chubby side and wore glasses and had a stutter and Sweetie - a wild and carefree tomboy and mountain girl.
The character of Melissa in a few ways I was able to relate to as her family life and the fear of being rejected is one that many of us go through and I thought how great it would have been to have a close friend like Sweetie . For me , as I moved around alot, I had a few close friends but one I have managed to stay in contact with for 20yrs + now.
We read as the two spend a wonderful and glorious summer together and become the closest of friends - blood sisters and we read as their bond stands strong and tightens, however as day by day passes by none of the girls realised that they were living on borrowed time and that just like that their friendship would cease and they would be separated for the rest of their lives.
When tragedy strikes ,these two must take a step back and re-evaluate as Sweetie makes a decision to stand by her mother and sacrifice everything whilst Melissa chooses to stand by. In Making the decisions and paths they have chosen , will this be the end of their relationship for good or will an event further on in life cause these two to meet up again, maybe not in reality but in mind?
An amazing but odd book in some parts that has really brought out the heritage and culture of the Appalachian culture.

This book was provided by www.netgalley.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid